Chapelfields (also written Chapel Fields) is a suburb of Coventry, West Midlands, England. It is situated about 1.5 miles to the west of Coventry City Centre; bordering Coundon to the north, Earlsdon to the south, Spon End to the east and Whoberley to the west. It is mainly residential, with a high proportion of graduates among the younger residents, and nowadays a significant element of students, particularly those studying at the University of Warwick. Houses in Chapelfields proper are mostly small to medium-sized terraced houses with gardens.
The area properly speaking comprises just nine streets: Queensland Avenue, Craven Street, Sir Thomas White's Road, Mount Street, Lord Street, Duke Street, the easternmost stub of Abercorn Road, the southern side of Allesley Old Road, and the northern side of Hearsall Lane; however, most maps show the area as including a number of other streets to the west of Queensland Avenue. Those streets are generally considered to be part of Chapelfields by their residents and estate agents, though not by the Chapelfields Area Residents and Traders Association (CARTA).
In mediaeval times there was a lazar house or leper hospital covering part of the area, which had been founded in 1168 by Hugh de Kevelioc, 5th Earl of Chester, for William D'Auney, a knight who had contracted the condition while following Kevelioc in a crusade. The modern area originates in 1847 when, as an extension of the neighbouring Spon area, building commenced to accommodate the watch-making industry for which Coventry was then famous; however, the part of Chapelfields from Sir Thomas White's Road to Queensland Avenue was not developed until the early 20th century (Sir Thomas White's Road itself was built in 1908 and formed part of the tram route to Broadgate). It is a quirk of this section of Chapelfields that properties there are subject to restrictive covenants forbidding their use as "fried fish shops", which were prevalent in the area at that time. Another popular type of business in Chapelfields has always been the public house. Though fewer in number, there are still seven licenced premises in this tiny area: the Craven Arms, the Chestnut Tree, the Hearsall Inn, the Coombe Abbey Inn, the Craven Club (all in Craven Street), the Four Provinces (Allesley Old Road, on the corner with Craven Street) and the Nursery Tavern in Lord Street. The last, locally noted as a real ale pub, presumably derives its name from Weare's Nursery, the immediate former occupier of the land upon which Chapelfields was built. Chapelfields pubs no longer extant included the New Inn and the Brewer's Arms in Craven Street, and the Sun Dial in Lord Street.